What is Hypnobirthing?
Whether you are feeling excited about the birth, anxious or have some fear, hypnobirthing can help optimise your experience through the use of hypnosis to achieve maximum relaxation, comfort and relief during childbirth. The more relaxed, positive and confident you feel, the quicker, more comfortable and calmer your baby's birth is likely to be; however you give birth.
The KG Hypnobirthing technique is a complete in-depth antenatal training programme designed to release fear and build confidence during birth and work towards a smooth and comfortable labour. During the course you and your partner will learn breathing and self-hypnosis techniques, this doesn't mean you will be in a trance or asleep.
In short, hypnobirthing allows you to experience birth in an calming atmosphere, free of the fear and tension that prevents the birthing muscles of your body from functioning as Nature intended them to.
It’s important that you understand the implications of the choices you may be required to make on the day, but most importantly you need to release fear and learn to trust your body, your instinct and your baby; this is where hypnobirthing comes in.
The background to Hypnobirthing
Hypnobirthing is soundly based in established medical knowledge. The seeds were first sown with the work of eminent obstetrician, Dr Grantly Dick. After witnessing a home birth in the slums of the London Docks in 1913, the mother refused any pain relief and then proceeded to give birth quickly and with no pain. Grantly Dick -Read was truly amazed. The mother’s comments after giving birth when asked why she refused any pain relief was, “It didn't hurt, it wasn’t meant to. Was it doctor?”. This experience was defining and he theorised that fear was the overriding cause that led to the pain in childbirth. He believed the syndrome actually caused blood to flow away from non-essential organs, such as the uterus to large muscle groups in the legs. He theorised that relaxation achieved through hypnosis would prevent that from happening.
Benefits of Hypnobirthing for you and your baby
- Help you to facilitate a quick and easy labour and birth.
- The length of labour is often much shorter.
- Less drugs and medical intervention are used, allowing your baby to develop naturally and easily after they arrive.
Most importantly you will come to understand why it is important to remain calm and relaxed, in mind and body, and also how to achieve this.
- Your baby will be delivered into a serene and relaxed environment, alert and ready to bond with you as nature intended.
- Mums often bounce back quicker after a hypnobirting birth as the physical impact of giving birth is reduced.
- Your birth partner will learn how to support you and have a central and active role in the birth.
- Hypnobirthing is a truly shared and loving experience.
What will I learn on a KG Hypnobirthing course?
- Breathing exercises.
- Deep relaxations.
- Very effective work to release fear and build confidence.
- Comforting massage.
- How the father can be your powerful protector and support.
- How your body is designed to give birth with efficiency and comfort.
- Knowledge and information about the whole process.
- How 'the system' that you find yourself in works, and how to work with it to achieve the best result for you.
- A simple practice regime to support you at home.
- Understanding how the mind and body work together.
When should you do the course?
- The ideal time to start a hypnobirthing course would be from 25-36 weeks.
- The hypnobirthing course is a 12 hour programme.
- Birth partners are welcome to attend but encouraged to do so because we recognise they play a vital role in the birth process.
What course materials am I given?
- The Hypnobirthing Book by Katherine Graves.
- The KG Hypnobirthing course relaxation CD/ MP3 Colour & Calmness. So you can begin to enjoy the benefits of hypnobirthing straight away.
- Handouts will be given for you to practice at home.
- I will be available on phone or e-mail, right up until baby makes an appearance.
- Group classes £345 per couple. An advantage to group classes is that you will have the opportunity to meet other parents-to-be and there is always a really positive atmosphere. ( Venue TBC )
- Private classes are also available and can be delivered in the comfort of your own home in the North west and North london area. Classes will be held across 4 days, 1 day a week. Please e-mail me to find out more details.
If you would like to book on to a course then please use the booking button below or e-mail me.
Payment is required to secure your booking.
Please note payment is non-refundable. In the rare event that the course has to be cancelled or rescheduled or if baby arrives prior to commencement of the course refunds will be offered.